Saturday, November 24, 2007

Jesus Compared to...

I just finished reading Erwin Lutzer's latest book, Slandering Jesus. Here's a quote from it that is worth pondering.

"During the Russian revolution of 1918, Lenin said that if Communism were implemented, there would be bread for every household. Yet he never had the nerve to say, "I am the bread of life. He who comes to me will never go hungry, and he who believes in me will never be thirsty" (John 6:35).

Hitler made astounding claims for the role of Germany on this planet, believing that he was beginning a thousand-year Reich (rule). Despite these outlandish claims, he never said, "I tell you the truth, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned; he has crossed over from death to life" (John 5:24).

Buddha taught enlightenment, yet he died seeking more light. He never said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life" (John 8:12).

Mohammad claimed that he and his tribes were descendants from Abraham through Ishmael, one of Abraham's sons. But he did not say, "Before Abraham was born, I am!" (John 8:58).

Freud believed that psychotherapy would heal people's emotional and spiritual pains. But he could not say, "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid" (John 14:27).

New age gurus say that we will all be reincarnated, yet not a one of them can say, "I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; and whoever lives and believes in me will never die" (John 11:25-26)."

Jesus is simply incomparable.

No comments: