Thursday, October 1, 2009

Why I'm Rootin' for the Phillies




I can't say I have always been a Phillies fan since I've lived near or in Philly. When I first moved here, the team was simply awful. Then Larry Bowa became the manager and, though he is certainly and deservedly a hero to long-time Phillies fans, I thought he was an awful manager. Of course, now it is easy to be a fan because the team is a winner. But, I particularly like Charlie Manuel. He is a man of exemplary character. His handling of Brad Lidge, who last year was perfect in saves for the team, but this year has blown 11 games and had to be removed as the closer, illustrates his character. This quote from today's Philadelphia Inquirer, which reports on last night's penant-clinching game illustrates why:

"...Manuel...made a move that also revealed much about him and how he genuinely cares for his players.

There were two outs in the ninth inning of the Phillies' 10-3 win over Houston at Citizens Bank Park. The title was wrapped up when Manuel took that familiar, slow amble toward the mound and signaled for Brad Lidge.

As far as Manuel was concerned, he was already looking ahead to the postseason, and his beleaguered closer--or, for now, former closer--needed a confidence boost. As Lidge prepared for his warm-ups, the din from the crowd increased. And everything went the way Manuel figured it would. Juiced by the supporting crowd, Lidge threw one pitch to end the clincher.

"I wanted him to pitch in front of the crowd", Manuel said.

"I thought it would be good for him and the crowd. They responded kind of like the way I thought they would. First of all, I've said all along I didn't want to get away from Lidge. That I wasn't going to shoot him or anything. It was an ideal situation to put him in. My whole intention all along was to get his confidence back up because I know he''s got the talent and ability".

"You know," he added with a grin, "when he came in and threw warm-up pitches, he was throwing the ball harder than he had the last few days.""

Manuel is a man of character and it rubs off on his players. Sometimes we root for hometeams but wince at the attitude and actions of the players off the field (think Alan Iverson and Michael Vick here), but these Phillies are good guys. I'm rooting for them!

No comments: